Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Carnival!

OK so it has been a week since I updated again. Good news is that my computer was fixed (yay!) so I have all of my pictures back. I also had a bit of computer troubles these last few days when I could not hook up to Ethernet cables, but my wonderful friend Matt Kokotovich is a computer genius and was able to guide me through both of my computer problems these past few weeks. What a lifesaver!

So back to the trip. The most interesting thing that has happened to us over the past few days is participating in the Carnival festivities. Carnival is a celebrated every year before the Easter season. It is like a cross between Halloween and Marti Gras back home. All of the children (and some of the adults!) dress up in costumes. They have parades and play music and dance and drink. We are in Katalagari, Crete right now and went to a nearby town to watch a parade. They had free pastries, cheese, wine, and raki for the parade attendees. They played music until the parade started and our group was dancing.

The parade itself was really interesting. It wasn’t like any parade we have back home. Instead, all of the floats were dedicated to scandals. There was a float about a corrupt hospital, a float about a drug bust, and a group of teenage girls with the word “emo” written on their backs.

All of this happened last Sunday. Yesterday, Monday, was called “Clean Monday,” meaning the beginning of Orthodox lent. Clean Monday is celebrated by a special homemade bread with sesame seeds on it (it was delicious) and a pink caviar type of bread spread called taramosalata. It is also customary to fly kites on this day, so we bought a few kites and went to the top of a mountain to fly them. That was really fun because I haven’t flown a kite for years!

It has been really fun to integrate ourselves into the Greek culture in this way. It was clear that we stick out like sore thumbs everywhere we go, but it is a unique opportunity to have these experiences while we are here.

As a side note, our week in Heraklion was quite interesting. We spent a lot of time climbing castle and ancient city ruins. Here in Katalagari we are focusing more on modern Greek cultures and customs. We had a Cretan cooking class a few days ago and now our Carnival celebration.

We have also walked over 165 recorded miles since the semester started. A girl on the trip has a pedometer and she is a little over 165 miles… but she has forgotten to put it on a few times, so we have gone farther than that. Hooray!

More pictures, too… this isn’t nearly up-to-date, but more will come later!

(Last half are new) http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2000614&l=3cc59&id=1273320032

(All are new) http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2000619&l=c8f96&id=1273320032

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey I will be in Bulgaria for the next month.. But I should be back before you get to England. I will let you know of any changes, but should be fine.

Nephew Chris

Anonymous said...

Em! I've finally been able to check out your blog and catch up on everything you've been doing and everywhere you've been going. It all sounds so exciting and I love the pictures!

Keep having fun!
Carly <><