Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The wonder that is the Parthenon

Today we took a trip into the Akropolis. I am writing this on a marble bench, looking at the pillars of the Parthenon, and trying to suppress the frustration inside me. OK, so the Parthenon is a wonderous place that some people don’t believe actually exists until they see it with their own eye, or so I’ve been told. But looking at this supposed magnificent site, I am in shock because of how little of it is original. My pictures would illustrate that it is nearly impossible to capture a section of the building without some type of scaffolding in the foreground, background, or both. So

So the Parthenon has gone through a few different religions. First it was built for the Greeks, then it was converted to a Christina church, then to an Islamic temple. They are currently restoring the Parthenon. In this process of restoration, all—or nearly all—of the original marble is being taken off site and into the museum. Yes, Elgian did take a lot of it and put it in the British Museum. Yes, the building has been damaged due to earthquakes and an explosion when it was under Islamic rule. But that is what gives the building its history. Roy Hammerling said that they are restoring it to its ancient Greek design, but that isn’t the only look that the building has had over the 1500 years that it has existed. Rebuilding the missing parts and replacing what still exists with replicas (while the real thing sits in a museum) makes it no longer a historical site. There is no more historical value in it than there is in a cheap knock-off of the Mona Lisa or a Rolex watch.

It may have begun to crumble, but that is what gives it its wonder. Being at the Parthenon makes me appreciate the Pyramids of Giza so much more because they have not been restored even though they are missing some vital parts, such as the top to one of them. They are not as shiny or as smooth or as intact as they were 4000 years ago, but that is what makes them so amazing. That is what makes it worth the visit. If the restoration keeps up, which I am sure it will, you might as well visit the replica of the Parthenon in Nashville, Tennessee. It will save you time, money, and will look just as historical. You just won’t get a cool stamp on your passport.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you were disappointed with the Parthenon - too bad there isn't a way to preserve what's there instead of reconstruct it!

Anonymous said...

PBS just ran a program the other night on the Parthenon and the reconstruction efforts. The original architects were more than just crafty in their design and building techniques. It's taken decades to discover their measurements in building the stones and how each is different from the other. It truly is a marvel of architecture and construction and whether the actual stones remain within the reconstruction or sent to museums and replaced with identical marble replicas, it's still an awesome structure. mec

Anonymous said...

When I was in France, I got to see the Mona Lisa. It's a whole lot smaller than I thought it would be and somehow that made it not so historic. So I know what you mean about being disappointed. I still don't understand all the fuss over her...

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with what you said. I feel like emphasizing a small portion of the Parthenon's history while ignoring the rest negates the importance of the monument. Sure, the current fascination with ancient Greek culture is justified, but what about the other great events that have shaped modern Greece, such as the Turkish invasion? Seeing the Parthenon disgraced in this way is not only disturbing, it also denies and erases several centuries of history in an effort to recapture the brilliance of one brief and elusive moment.